The Volkswagen group (Wolfsburg, Germany) is one of the world’s leading automobile manufacturers and the largest carmaker in Europe. It is now entering the Indian market with Passat, a luxury sedan.
The Volkswagen Passat is a thoroughly engineered, full-sized diesel saloon that offers class-leading comfort, performance, and safety. With its elegant design and stylish appearance, the Passat will definitely stand out in the crowd of luxury sedans lining the Indian market. Passat has acquired the highest rating of five-stars by the NCAP in Europe for occupant protection during crash testing.
The new Passat is designed on a stretched version of the PQ45 platform used by the new Golf. Known as the PQ46 on the Passat, its 2.7-metre wheelbase is almost as long as that of the Accord or Camry. The new Passat comes with a more efficient use of space and also uses a transversely-mounted engine and an independent rear suspension.
The Passat is available in three variants – DSG, DSGS and 1.8L TSI, which are offered in front-wheel-drive configurations. Both DSG and DSGS engines are powered by a 2.0-litre TDl lnline-4 turbo diesel engine while the TSI engine is powered by 1.8L. The top competitors of the Passat include the BMW 3-Series and the Mercedes-Benz C-Class. Volkswagen is planning to add more choices/variants to the Passat depending on the response to the launch in India.
A power assisted rack and pinion steering is quick and responsive. The Passat now uses a transversely-mounted engine and an independent rear suspension setup for improved ride and handling dynamics. The Passat receives a spring strut front suspension and a four-link independent rear suspension which is retuned for Indian bumpy roads. The ride quality on hilly regions is quite pleasant and smooth.
STYLING AND TECHNOLOGY
The Passat is sleek and sports a graceful look. The massive V-shaped Volkswagen grille which is stylishly designed in attractive chrome grabs the attention at first sight. The front is also adorned with rectangular-shaped headlamps that give the car an eagle-like intense gaze. High-tech LED rectangular-shaped tail-lamps give the rear a bold appearance. The Passat rides on 16″ alloy wheels with 205/55R16 tyres.
The interiors exude style and luxury. The seats are large and comfortable with adequate leg room and shoulder room. The design of the dash is striking. The instrumentation cluster resembles an Audi A8 design cluster where the dials and displays are placed directly into satin-finished metal bezels. The Passat comes with an electromechanical parking brake, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, leather seating, two-zone climate control, cup holders, and an audio system with an AM/FM radio, CD player, and MP3 player.
The Passat is armed with various safety features that include cruise control, an anti-lock braking system (ABS), central locking, a remote keyless entry, an engine immobilizer, dual-stage airbags, and an anti-theft alarm system.
- Chrome finished radiator grille.
- Circular LED rear lights.
- Power windows and door locks rear seat sunshades.
- Air conditioning and cruise control system.
- RCD 510 touch screen audio system.
- Comes with 1.8L TSI petrol engine.
- 1798cc of displacement.
- Provides a maximum power of 160PS at 4500-6200 rpm.
- Peak torque of 250Nm at 1500-4500rpm will be produced.
- Anti lock Braking System.
- Traction Control System and Cruise Control.
- Electronic Differential Lock with Electronic Stability Program (ESP).
- 8 Air bags with power steering.
- 6 Speed manual gearbox.
- 11.5 kmpl of mileage(city) and 13 kmpl of mileage(Highway).
- 70 litres of fuel tank capacity.
- Covers 0-100 kmph in just 8.6 seconds.
- Top speed of 220 kmph.
- 7J X 16 inch Milwaukee alloy wheels.
- The size of the tyres is 215/55 R16.
- Available in different attractive colors like Candy White, Reflex Silver, Deep Black, Mocca Anthracite, Silver Leaf, Iron Grey etc.
Rs. 19,20,777 -25,65,000/-.(aprox.)